Update by user Dec 27, 2018

They are owned by Signet Jewelry, who also owns Kay Jewelers.

Original review posted by user Dec 23, 2018

I bought and expensive watch from Jared's in Mission Valley, San Diego. I paid for the extra "buckle to buckle" 3 year protection which covered anything no questions asked. I was also told explicitly their "30 day money-back guarantee."

Upon purchasing the watch two things happened:

1. The sales woman, Maria, asked how I wanted to the receipt - email, paper or both. I said email was fine.

2. The sales woman suggested that I wear it out of the store. I said sure. I put it on, it was too large. She said that it needed to be resized. She went to get the Harvey Williams, the General Manager, (the only one "qualified" to resize the bracelet for some reason - at a jewelers). It took him 30 minutes (not an exaggeration) to come out, I tried to leave a few times and was told to just wait that he would be out any minute. Finally he came out, looked at thew watch and said,"yup, needs resizing. We can do that for you." It took him another 20 to remove two links from the bracelet. Again, no exaggeration. He was sitting over the watch with metal tools and a loop for 20 minutes.

I put the watch on, wore it out per their suggestion, went to the parking lot and took it off to put it back in the box. I wasn't 100% sure about the purchase, so thought I'd give it another look in the morning and figured if it wasn’t right the 30-day money back guarantee would be OK.

Two days later, after careful consideration and not wearing the watch, I decided to return it. I walked in, explained my situation, and immediately a different sales women came over to try and convince me to exchange it and not return it. I said,”no thanks, I’m going to return it until I decide on the right watch.” Then the original sales woman came over and said the General Manager said no returns. So I went to speak with him.

When I spoke with him he the same. I explained that it had been clear that there was a 30-day money back return policy - and he said,”You wore it out of the store. And it was altered. Read your receipt.” I explained I had only received the email of it and there was nothing to read. Also, if that was policy that should have been at least mentioned before I made alterations or wore it out of these tore, because I wouldn't have done that until I was sure. He said, you should have read your receipt (with a grin).

Then he said,”let me see the watch.” And pulled it immediately looking on the bottom to say,”There are scratches on it. We can’t take it back anyway. You’ve been wearing it.” I explained I hadn’t worn the watch, not even once, after leaving the store and it had gone immediately back into the box. AND that it seemed more likely his 20 minutes of working on it with metal tools was likely to have been the issue. OR that he sold me a scratched watch.

I explained I had been a loyal customer for 7 years, and had spent $7k with them on wedding rings and he just shrugged. I also reminded him I only wore it out and altered it because his saleswoman suggested it. And that I had tried to leave and was asked to stay to make the alterations.

He threatened to call the police if I didn’t leave. This is a SCAM plain and simple. This is not the deal I paid for and was hand-held into keeping the watch.

I’m currently exploring options, but as of now, I’m out of the money and feeling very taken advantage of.

Product or Service Mentioned: Watch.

I didn't like: Pushy sales people, Bait and switch returns, General manager, Sales people, Customer service.

• Jared Gallery

Comments

I would go to another store, have the links put back in, and take it to another jared location to return. *** the Signet corporation!!

to Anonymous #1625829